Tuesday, May 20, 2008

my professional opinion

i feel that my music credentials make my opinion about the american idol final more valid than pretty much anyone i know, so here it comes.



i've been a cook fan from the beginning. i think he SHOULD win. but will he? no. here's why:

a) his fan base - too old. not the "text and call constantly to vote for the entire 4 hour voting period" like his competition's fan base. i do, however, think both the davids have equally large mobs of screaming girls - all fainting at the mere thought of them.

b) his vocal technique - i've been concerned about this for quite some time. that raspy, dare i say sexy, sound means there's some serious damage happening. that was made very apparent tonight when he barely screamed out song #2. get that boy some throat coat and 3 weeks of vocal rest, stat.

based solely on tonight's performances, archuleta takes it hands down. and that's how i think it will play out tomorrow. and there you have it. i now call archuleta season 7's american idol.

that will be $100 please.

3 comments:

TheTandyFamily said...

That is crazy that you noticed that David Cook's voice is getting messed up. Andrew Lloyd Webber said the same thing tonight, that he was damaging his voice. I guess I am amongst the teenage girls that stay and vote all four hours, because I hope little David wins.

The Tanners said...

I Becca, Aunt Lois here. I guess I was one of those stay and vote girls (not exactly pre-teen or even teen for that matter) But I did vote over 200 times most nights. I voted for David A. every time. Then when it got down to the two. I thought that he needed to go home and finish school and serve a mission. David C. has what it takes to be the "Idol" right now. If his voice holds out. Hope things are going well for you Becca. Love ya.

Lisa said...

Isn't my mom a hoot? I got her addicted to Idol, so it's my fault. Anyway, so glad David C won! Though I agree with the long-term vocal damage, it is still oh-so-nice to listen to, isn't it?